My favorite series? Well that’s easy!
The Narnia Series by C.S. Lewis.
I seriously don’t know why I didn’t read more of these as a child. My fifth-grade class read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe together and watched the movie, but I never picked up more of the series. As an adult though, my roommate and I read the series together one chapter at a time.
Reasons I like the Narnia series:
- The Biblical metaphors abound
- The adventures are full of adventure.
- The characters are likeable (see points below).
- It’s British.
- Good triumphs over evil.
- There are good words like “bivouac”.
- It’s fun to read aloud.
- C.S. Lewis is a brilliant author.
- My copies of the books are pocket sized.
10. Some editions have cute drawings.
11. The newer movies are somewhat accurate.
12. Eustace…oh Eustace!
13. And Mr. Tumnus. My heart got sad when he was turned to stone.
14. And other loveable but we can’t show our love characters like Reepicheep and Trumpkin.
15. Marshwiggles. The name alone makes me giggle.
16. ASLAN. “He’s not a tame lion, you know.”
17. It makes me believe that there really might be a Narnia out there.
18. The books connect to one another in mysterious little ways.
19. The world is created and destroyed all within a series.
20. It has a very clear ending that also happens to hint at a beginning of something new.
Watch out tomorrow for a post about my favorite book in this series. Now that will require some thought.